Are you a blogger and want to generate organic traffic to your blogs through guest posting/blogging? There has been a growing debate about guest posting dying over the years. Some may argue that it is a pointless exercise. Others will stand by it and use it as part of their marketing strategy. However, the truth is: it may be a bad decision but done well, it can be an ethical and sustainable strategy to acquire high-quality backlinks and boost SEO rankings of your websites and blogs.
Are you willing to start guest posting? But, don’t know where to start. Don’t worry. In this article, I will explain guest posting and an effective guest blogging strategy that anyone, from any niche, can execute. By the end of this article, you’ll be able to properly use guest posting to increase the traffic to your blogs, and the visibility of your website.
What is Guest Posting?
“Posting your content / articles on someone else’s website is known as guest posting.” This is also known as Guest Blogging.
The term “content marketing” has changed throughout time. Content creators now have a plethora of tools at their disposal to help them market their content. Guest posting is also one of these tools. Bloggers implement this tactic to increase the visibility of their blogs and drive the traffic back from the host website to their own websites (also called referral traffic). Guest blogging offers a win-win situation for both the guest posting host websites and guest bloggers.
Benefits of Guest Posting
You might be wondering, what are the benefits of guest posting? Putting in a nutshell major benefits of guest posting are:
- Back traffic to blogger’s website
- Boost their domain to high authority domain using external links
- Boost SEO ranking of the website
- Build relationships in their industry
- Guest blogging builds trust
- Improve lead generation
Effective Guest Posting Strategy Guide
Building an effective guest posting strategy entails a number of steps. These steps will assist you in establishing a solid basis for your strategy by defining specific goals.
Step 1: Set Your Goals
An effective guest blogging strategy begins with a clear understanding of your goals. After all, if you want to get anywhere, you should know where you are going. Major goals of guest blogging are:
- Improving SEO through backlinks
- Increasing leads, and direct traffic to your website
- Framing yourself as an expert to increase your chances of being quoted and public appearances
If you want to achieve goals 2 and 3 then you should look for blogs with a large and engaged community. Otherwise, to achieve only goal 1 you should look for blogs with high root domain authority.
Step 2: Find Reputable Sites to Contribute To
After defining the goals, the next step is to find some reputable websites that accept guest posting.
How to find guest posting sites?
There are numerous methods for finding websites that welcome guest posts. Make a list of the sites that are accepting the guest posts. because it helps when it comes to deciding which site is good for you. The following tips will help you in finding suitable sites for guest posting.
keywords can quickly bring up dozens of relevant websites accepting guest posting. Here are some of the google search strings which you can use to find out websites accepting guest posting:
- “Your Keyword” + “guest post”
- “Your Keyword” + “write for us”
- Your Keyword “guest post”
- Your keyword “guest post by”
- Your keyword “accepting guest posts”
- Your keyword “guest post guidelines”
These queries will direct you to a site’s guest post rules, submission form, or guest posts by other authors. Here the ‘keyword’ is your niche. For example, if your niche is technology you will search technology: “write for us” on google.
Many bloggers post links to their most recent guest articles on social media. You can also search “guest post” or “guest articles” in the search bar on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
Criteria to choose guest posting sites:
Finding the websites is not enough. You must also determine whether those sites are worthy and will assist you in achieving the objectives you established for your guest posting plan. While choosing the best website for guest posting keep following criteria in mind:
- The site’s Domain Authority (DA) must be more than 40 (use MOZ tool)
- Content is relatable to your niche or industry
- The website owner is active on social media (to make sure that he/she will promote your content)
- The website has a large and engaged audience (use MOZ tool)
Step 3: Select a Winning Topic
Guest bloggers frequently fail because they emphasize the publications rather than the content. That’s an excellent technique for ensuring publication, but it supports the publishers’ interests rather than yours. By now, you should already be aware of the site’s most popular topics. Now, it’s time to pick a winning topic to pitch. Select the topic
- Which adds information to the popular topics on the website
- Which the audience will like
You can explore the site to see what their main content is popular. Your major goal should be to offer value to the website by writing something interesting for the audience. You can also use Buzzsumo, which is an excellent tool to use. It can assist you in finding popular content on the site.
Last but not least, read the site’s writing and pitching requirements. If you do not, site owners may discard your pitch without even reading it.
Step 4: Prepare Your Pitch
Reaching out to the owners of your target sites is the next stage in developing a guest blogging plan. It’s not as simple as writing a guest article and getting it published on a publisher’s site. Before your work can be accepted for publication, you must first get the publisher’s consideration by pitching your topic. This is where you’ll pitch the site owners on your content proposal through email. While preparing your pitch keep in mind the following:
- Make your pitch concise and to-the-point.
- Use their name
- Include the title of the post
- Briefly describe the post
- How you can help their readers
- Tell them why you’re the best option for this job
Step 5: Write Great Content
The site owners may be impressed by your pitch, but they first determine whether you can write a useful post. You’ll have to write a guest post and make sure to make it better than your best, especially if it’s your first experience for a website. Your best guest posting approach should be to provide high-quality, honest, and valuable articles. carefully read the site’s guidelines for guest posting, since these will assist you in creating the ideal guest post.
- Craft a great headline
- Include the reader’s advantage
- Make use of action words
- Make use of emotions
- Do proper keyword research (helps content to rank well in search engines, resulting in more visitors to owner website)
- Include images (use copyright-free images)
- Add internal and external links (according to guidelines mentioned)
- Properly format the post (according to other posts on site)
Step 6: Craft a Guest Bio
You are mistaken if you believe that your bio is less crucial than the article itself. The bio is the reward for all of your effort in developing your guest posting strategy. This is because readers will learn about the person behind the post and it is where you get referral traffic to your own website and resources. Your bio should include:
- Link to your website
- Link to your social profiles
- Concise and descriptive bio
- Who you are
- Include a current photo of yourself
Step 7: Be Responsive
Being responsive will please the site owners and make them choose you for more guest posts. This brings you one step closer to reaching your guest posting strategy’s objectives. Make sure to repond to the comments on your post. It’s not only because it’s polite, but it helps you build relationships with your new audience and achieve your strategic goals.
Step 8: Promote Your Content
Once your guest post is published the next step is to market your content. Content marketing is an important aspect of any guest blogging strategy since it encourages visitors to read your article and return to your website. The site owner will also be pleased with the additional visitors.
- Through email marketing newsletter
- By sharing your post on social media
- Using Buffer
- By running a drip marketing campaign in Missinglettr
Step 9: Track Your Success
After your post gets published, you should keep track of your success to know whether your guest blogging approach is effective or not. You’ll have to use some tools to perform this job effectively.
- Use SEMRush to find out the ranking for your post
- Use Buzzsumo to see if your post is being shared on social media
- Use Google Analytics to measure visits to your landing page
To take your blogging career to the next level and make it scaleable, you’ll need a guest posting plan. The 9 steps outlined in this article will assist you in developing and implementing an effective guest posting strategy for your blogs.